Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Friday 17 February 2012

French Army - as at 17 Feb 2012

First off, Chesapeake wanted to see the Chasseurs des Montagnes in close-up, and also my attempt at a Vistula Legion flag, so here they are.


The main business of this post is to publish an up-to-date team photo of the French army. I needed to get everything out of The Cupboard to reorganise, to accommodate the new units, so it seemed a good idea to photograph them. I publish pics like this fairly regularly - I like taking pics like this - if they look pretty much like the last lot, maybe that's a good thing.



Here you see the Emperor taking the salute, complete with music by the band of King Joseph's Guard. My hybrid Armee du Centre/Nord is on the right flank, on the left is the Armee de Portugal. At the rear are engineers and garrison artillery. Please pardon the lack of limbers - I'm working on it!

Since I had no idea, I counted up: including the converged light company "battalions" for each brigade, I reckon there's 75 battalions here, but I wouldn't swear to it. I'll have a bash at the Anglo-Portuguese army in a day or so. The Spanish army is still changing fairly rapidly, so I'll hold off with that one for a few weeks.

Pictures of soldiers - sometimes my originality amazes me.

15 comments:

  1. I can hear the table groaning under the weight of lead and plastic!

    Please, keep posting pictures of soldiers; the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plastic??? Well, yes - the engineering section and the fortress gunners at the back are a bit plastic, and then there's a drummer in one of the foot dragoon battalions, and I think the Brits have a HaT bugler in one of the light infantry units, and there are a couple of Spanish guerrilleros. It's a very strong table - underneath that green chipboard there is a great slab of French oak dining table - if it can support my wife's cooking...

      Delete
  2. Sometimes impressive and entertaining trumps original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross - kind of you to say so, but I'm not so sure about obsessive or excessive!

      Delete
  3. Impressive ! It would make an excellent picture for insurance purposes too !.. Regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - insurance. That's a funny one. What value do you put on something you couldn't replace anyway? Hmmm...

      Delete
  4. Agreed! Dare I suggest that you could give the Wargames Holiday Centre a run for its money? Very eager to see your Spanish army when that is finished.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your Excellency - thing that would worry me about comparison with the WHC is that they allow strangers to handle their collection - AAAARGH!

      Delete
  5. Wow - what a dazzling table! I am awestruck. You will need some new truss work in the floor as well as a new table if you field an equivalent army for France's long list of enemies...

    Seriously, a photo like that is the sign of a long, determined and productive pursuit of your hobby. My respects,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim - I appreciate that. Sadly, my late father used to reckon that my soldier collection was a measure of what else I might have done with the time! - the collection was a fair bit smaller then...

      Delete
  6. Foy, what a magnificent collection! Congratulations.

    I must also commend you on the wine rack and spirits collection in the last picture. Is that a humidor I see to the left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I believe it was once a cigarette box - it now holds my Commands & Colors cards!

      Delete