Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Thursday 20 July 2017

New Faith in the Clean Spirit?

After 3 weeks in the Clean Spirit jar, my Qualiticast French command figures had come up very nicely, thank you, so a couple of evenings of brushwork later I have put them back on their little scenic baseboard. There is still some artistic touching-up required on the basing, but here is the new French HQ - it's been a long time coming - I must have bought these figures on eBay five or six years ago.

All freshly painted - apparently invigorated by 3 weeks in the magic stripper.
In the middle distance, young Jean-Aristide gets his instructions from the
Adjudant-Commandant, while his elders and betters appear to be unsure
exactly where the enemy might be. The duty guard from the 3rd Hussars
are probably bored stiff.
 
I have quite a few new staff figures to paint up, so that will keep me busy, but I shall also set up a trial jar of Simple Green. No need for hurry, but let's get on with it. I have some pre-owned Les Higgins Frenchmen who will appreciate the experience, I'm sure.

Latest off-the-wall suggestions for stripping model paints are Coca Cola (which I've heard before) and tomato ketchup (which is a new one on me). At the moment I'm happy with the Clean Spirit test results, now I'll set up a Simple Green batch - that's enough excitement for this month.

17 comments:

  1. As a nipper I used brown sauce to clean up old one penny coins.

    You could run an experiment on the Les Higgins figures by dipping one figure each in a range of different stripping substances.

    The end results would make an interesting photographic comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very creditable command stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing figures. Shame they are no longer available. Good luck with the experimentation. Do you think salsa would be quicker than ketchup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice vignette by the way. I like the frustrated way the hatless officer is pointing the other way.

    We've all been there in work when the boss isn't listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am never sure about Qualiticast - I could do without the 40mm hands on the 20mm figures, not to mention the occasional 15mm hat, and it irritates me that their cavalry are sculpted to a slightly smaller scale than the foot figures. On the other hand, these staff chaps are rather fun, aren't they - there is some humour here - a rare and rather old-fashioned concept - and then there's the Rifles ofiicer in the Tarleton helmet they made, which is a thing of pure delight. Anyone ever seen their 1812 Moscow campaign figures? - I haven't either but the imagination boggles (there's a word I haven't used or heard in years - I must start using it again - anyone for boggling?)

      Delete
  5. If only someone would invent something that stripped the buggers and then magically repainted them. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you are talking - I shall extend the trials to see if there any signs of spontaneous painting taking place in the bottom of the jar. Mind you - how would we change the chemicals to get the right facings for the 50th Foot? - this is going to be tricky, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. I think they must be on the lookout for ships to rescue them from that desert island. You need a palm tree, Foy.

    I'm shocked that you haven't considered mayonnaise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A palm tree. Right. I shall never be able to see this piece without thinking of Johnny Castaway...

      Delete
  7. Neat, we await the test results with bated breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - Roy - keep breathing, please - these tests take weeks...

      Delete
  8. Very nice command group! I like the choice of dismounted cavalry as guards.

    I haven't mentioned what I use for paint stripping, partially because its a new thing for me, only done it once and that recently, and it appears to be a bit unusual as its actually designed for removing paint and is environmentally friendly etc. Its called Natura Stripper. Took 90 year old Britain's done to baremetal in about an hour with a quick toothbrush scrub in water to finish up. Also did one more modern guy in acryllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross - thanks for this - of course I looked up NATURA STRIPPER in Google immediately, to see where I could obtain such a thing. I have to say that the replies I got were surprising (well, maybe not surprising, but not what I was expecting) and the margin adverts on my Facebook page are now much more colourful than they were yesterday. Hmmm. How much did they pay you to set this up...?

      Delete
  9. Thank you all, gentlemen, for appreciative comments. Roy - bated breath would be hazardous - tests will take a few weeks! WM - I am also considering a series of separate trials involving bleach on burgers etc.

    Vance emailed to say that he was pleasantly surprised to see a "proper" base, with scenic flock, and asked was I now going to do an about-face on house style and change all my bases to the more modern style? My response is best summarised as "no". The only reason this stand is finshed in this manner is because this is the base the figures were fastened to when I bought it, and I am too mean to waste it.

    All right, all right - I am quite pleased it - regard it as a measure of my versatility. Nothing closed-minded about me. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete